Thursday, July 19, 2012

Running

Running is one of my favorite exercises.  Why? It is because the way it makes you feel.  I remember in the beginning I could only run maybe a quarter of a mile before I couldn't even breath.  Now I am running almost 2 miles straight without a break, and I ran run about 8 miles tops.   So I thought I'd ad some personal tips I'd like to share if you're really interested in getting your running up to speed!!


  • EAT! Eat about an hour before your run.  If you eat right before your run you'll get cramps or sick.  Try to eat about an hour or two before the run.  Some good foods are carbs like rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread or English muffin.  Peanut butter is full of good fats and proteins to help get your body ready, or some almonds.  Bananas and honey can help you with energy. 

  • Stretch, soak, ice.  Be sure to stretch immediately after your workout.  A good calve stretch is walking the dog.  Go into downward dog, separate your legs slightly and press one heal down while you bend the other knee, you should feel a good stretch in your calve.  Switch legs every few breaths.  Do some basic hamstring, glute, and quad stretches.  Also soaking in a hot tub or bath will help sooth and warm the muscles keeping them from becoming tight.  Icing will help numb any pain.  

  • Breath.  When running or any exercise gets hard the best thing you can do is breath through it.  Focus on your breathing, and take your mind off the pain.  I know when I get to my third and fourth mile and my legs are pounding on the ground I am ready to stop, but you have to breath.  Also it's easy to get out of breath, so the best thing to do is focus on taking deep breaths in and and.  Breathing also keeps oxygen flowing in through blood which helps your body heal faster!!

  • Good shoes and good form.  There are many different theories on what kind of shoes you should wear to run in and how different grounds can effect your joints and bones.  I know I had knee problems for awhile due to running, but as I strengthened my legs by lifting weights, I was less prone to injury.  I hear barefoot running is the best.  I bought a pair of feet gloves and never really could tell if they worked because my feet filled up quickly with blisters.  I bought a pair of new balances and they are super light! I love them, they are by far the best running shoes I've warn.

  • Pace yourself but push yourself.  Don't over do it or over press yourself in the beginning.  Let your first mile or two be a warm up and save your sprinting until the very end, other wise you will run out of energy quickly.  But also push yourself.  Running is mental and there will come a point when your brain says time to walk, or time to stop, or time to go back.  That's when I do a body check.  I check my breathing, am I out of breath to the point of passing out? Usually not.  Then I check if I'm dehydrated.  Am I still sweating, can I think clearly, am I over heated?  Usually a bit of water helps to hydrate back to a healthy state.  I ask myself, are my legs tired or are am I pushing them to injury.  Usually my legs are beginning to feel sore, but not to the point of hurting myself.  If you give yourself a chance to examine your body and actually think about why you're wanting to stop usually you find no reason other than the fact that you mind wants to.  That's when you say NO, I will press on...then do it.  Keep going.  When I do this and allow myself to mentally push on, is when I do my best runs.  This is also true in any work-out.  Very rarely do people push themselves to their max, or to injury.  Usually it is our mind that gives up.


keywords: running tips, weightloss tips, excellent running tips, learn to run, how to run longer distance 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment