Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How to get rid of leg cramps

This one was asked as a request for me to write,  I've never had a real issue with leg cramps so I did a little research on this one.  One thing I found that I have heard works before is potassium.  I've been told before that eating a banana will help with leg cramps.  I have never myself had any kind of cramps but I have heard that any kind of body cramps come from dehydration.  So when you're working out or doing yoga or stretching it's extremely important to drink lots of water.  Not just to keep hydrated but to prevent cramps.  I think i might have heard about staying hydrated from my track coach.  If you have cramps at night drink a lot of water or Gatorade to hydrate your body.  If you didn't know alcohol and caffeine will dehydrate the body so try avoiding these drinks if you suffer from cramps.  One remedy I use for muscle aches, which I am sure will work well with leg cramps is stretching, heating and iceing.  As a runner and athlete, I constantly have muscle pain somewhere on my body.  Stretching is absolutely necessary daily for me.  A simple 2-5 minute stretch will normally do the trick, but yoga or a long stretch routine can really help take kinks out of any sore muscle.  Stretching will also lengthen and loosen muscles so they are not so tight.  Heat works like stretching, heating the muscles up and losing them.  Sitting in a hot tub or hot bath, or even taking a hot shower sometimes really can help.  Ice calms the nerves and helps numb pain.  From the research I did it really seems like the best thing to take internally is zinc, calcium and potassium.  Like I said before, bananas are helpful, a lot of juices and as before Gatorade has some of these minerals in them.

So I can't tell you exactly what to do, but from my common knowledge as well as some research this is what I seemed to have find. Please be sure to comment if you know of anything else!!

No comments:

Post a Comment